Hooray!! Today is my 7 year anniversary of living in Italy! That means 7 years of full immersion in the Italian cuisine. And lets be honest, who gets to eat delicious Italian food every day, may call herself a lucky girl 🙂
What’s my favorite food? Pizza
What do I eat since I live in Italy? Farro, Pearl Barley, Fried Zucchini Blossoms (the ones my mom-in-law makes), mussels and shrimps and various type of cheese like robiola, scamorza and primo sale.
What don’t I like anymore since I live in Italy? Bread for lunch (every day)
The most crazy thing I’ve done for a good/delicious meal? Drive 1,5 hours for that one fabulous osteria! Yes, I know it’s totally not crazy here in Italy but for a dutchie…
My best memory of the Italian cuisine since I live in Italy? Eating pizza with my love at the seaside in Diamante (Southern Italy) during a beautiful sunset. Delicious and romantic!!
Do you have any questions? Just ask by leaving a comment!!
Today an extremely tasteful Cold Pearl Barley Salad! I just love to eat salads during summer. And pearl barley is super healthy and so good. I eat it once or twice a week, it’s that good! Inspired by the quinoa salad of the dutch blogger Jacqueline of Thermomix Recepten (dutch blog) I created my own version with grilled chicken, spinach and peach. If you don’t have pearl barley at home, run to the supermarket and try out this recipe. You might get addicted, trust me! 😉
I’ve made it several times now and it’s better when eaten immediately rather than eat it the next day at work. Still good, but slightly better when eaten immediately.
Cold Pearl Barley Salad
* 150 gr. pearl barley
* 150 gr. chicken fillet
* 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
* 1 peach
* 1 red pepper (not too big)
* 50 gr. robiola cheese
* 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
* juice of 2 limes
* olive oil extra vergine
1. Bring a large pan of water to boil. Once the water boils you add a bit of salt and the pearl barley. Let it boil for 15 minutes.
2. Drain the pearl barley and let it cool down completely.
3. Cut the red pepper into small pieces.
4. Put a bit of olive oil in a skillet and heat itand add the red pepper. Leave it over medium/low heat for 30 minutes. Let it cool down completely.
5. Grill the chicken fillet and let it cool down completely. Cut it into small dices
6. Cut the peach into small pieces.
7. Cut the robiola cheese into small dices.
8. Mix the lime juice with a bit of olive oil, parsley and salt and set aside.
9. Mix the pearl barley, spinach, chicken fillet, peach, robiola cheese, red pepper and the lime dressing.
Buon Appetito! ♥